This fall beetroot barley and leek salad is filled with earthy and delicious seasonal flavours and dressed in extremelly delicious yohurt sauce. It’s perfect for holiday table as a side dish or main dish. It looks beautiful and most importantly it’s delicious. This was one of the best salads I’ve made in ages! It made a really gorgeous dinner, but a smaller portion would be great as an appetiser too.
Ingredients for beetroot barley salad
-Beetroot. Earthy and delicious fall vegetable. Actually one of my favourites! Roasted in the oven it fully opens the flavours. IT caramelises and tastes so delicious!
-Leeks. I’ve roasted some leek together with the beets in the oven and it was such a gread add up to the salad. It’s sweet and caramelised and perfect in this beetroot barley salad!
-Barley. It’s one of my favourite grain. When I grew up barley was one of the staples in my family diet so I absolutely love it. It’s chewy, earthy and tastes so good in salads. It’s super easy to prepare and ready in 35 minutes.
-Sunflower seeds. I love to add some kind of nuts or seeds in my salads. It gives extra healthy fats and crunchiness to the salad. You can use sunflower, pumpin seeds or whatever you have in your pantry.
-Dressing. This dressing was so so good with this salad! You might want to save it for later and use it in other recipes! I’ve mixed some plain vegan yoghurt addded some whole grain mustard (you can swap to normal dijon mustard), then added some lemon juice, olive oil, salt and blac pepper. Mixed everything it was super creamy, tangy, sour and perfect with beetroot flavours.
-Greens. For the greens you can use any kind of herbs you like. PArsley, dill, basil works really great here. I’ve added some leek top greens to this salad, It gave more leeky flavour to the salad.
Check out more recipes:
Beetroot Leek Barley Salad
- 3 beetroot
- 2 leeks
- 1 cup dry barley
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp vegan yoghurt
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- ½ lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Cook the dry barley by adding 1 cup of barley and 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 35 minutes until water absorbed and barley is fluffy.
- Chopp the leeks and beets to a bite size pieces and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil salt and cumin. Bakein the 200C oven for about 35 minutes until browned.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients.
- To a serving bowl add cooked barley, beets and leeks, add some leek greens and sunflower seeds and mix well.
- To a plate add some dressing then add couple of spoons of the salad and drizzle more dressing. EnJoy!