These pesto hasselback sweet potato slices are so crispy on the outside and super soft on the inside. This is one of the best ways to roast or bake a sweet potato. It is also very easy to make although the only time consuming step with hasselback sweet potatoes is slicing them into evenly measured slices (or sort of) while trying not to cut straight through onto your chopping board. The rest is super easy.
They look amazing on the plate, they taste better than they look, and they’re so versatile they go with anything. I love to serve them with simple pesto sauce that makes this dish another level. Also I would think it would be amazing with sour sauces and maybe even vegan feta cheese.
How to cut hasselback sweet potatoes?
First clean sweet potato very well or if you prefer to peel it you can definitelly peel it as well. Then cut into pieces areound 2-2,5 centimetres wise. Cut each slice along around 3mm just make sure you don’t cut it through all potato. If it helps you you can also use chopsticks which are going to be helpful for not cutting potato all the way through.
Slather with sauce
Whisk together oil, dried herbs and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
Brush the mixture over all of the potatoes. Spread apart the slices using your fingers or a fork to ensure the sauce gets in-between the pieces.
Bake in the oven
Cook in a preheated 200 °C oven for 40 minutes. Potatoes are going to shrink a little bit also you with get brown and crispy sides. If you want to make sure if it’s cooked go through knife if it goes softly through potato slice.
You would also like:
Pesto Hasselback Sweet Potato
- 4-5 medium size sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried italian herbs
To serve with
- homemade or storebought pesto sauce
- chili flakes
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes very well.
- Slice into 2 cm thick slices.
- Cut each slice in a rack shape but be careful not to cut along through potato.
- Mix olive oil and spices and brush on each slice.
- Bake in the preheated 200C oven for about 45 minutes until golden and crispy on the outside.
- Serve with pesto sauce and chili flakes. Enjoy!