This Red Lentil Falafel is probably the easiest and closest version to a good all chickpea falafel version. I wanted to create something easier to make. Instead of soaking chickpeas for 12 hours you can soak red lentils for 1 hour and have a very similar taste and feeling of the real and crunchy Middle east falafel.
I love this recipe because it is very simple to make. You only need to prepare lentils one hour before you want to make falafel. Then add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend to a beautiful falafel mixture.
I simply recommend to make it for a meal prep or to have as a snack any time during the week. They store in the fridge very well and also taste amazing when cold.
Ingredients for Red Lentil Falafel
- Red Lentils. They are one of my favourite legumes to have on hand. It is very easy to cook red lentils and also it’s super healthy for you and tastes amazing.
- Onion. It’s a must in falafel. When blended in the falafel mixture onion gives a lovely kick and flavour.
- Garlic. Another favourite spice of mine. I love the taste that garlic adds to the falafel.
- Parsley. Oh my all time favourite herb! I love the taste of it and the colour it gives when blended to the falafel.
- Flour. It helps to stick the mixture together. You’ll only need two spoons here.
This recipe is very affordable. You’ll only need a couple of ingredients to create a beautiful falafel which you can serve in any way. I like serving my falafel in wraps, salads or even as a snack on its own.
I love the texture of soaked lentils here. They make a really great texture to the falafel. Please don’t try this with dry or cooked lentils, you won’t like the results.
If you like this recipe check out:
Red Lentil Falafel
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3-4 tbsp oil for frying
- Cover red lentils with water and soak for about one hour until doubled in size.
- Drain the lentils and add to a food processor together with the rest of ingredients except flour.
- Blend everything until you get green paste like consistency.
- Add flour, mix well and form little balls. You should be able to make about 20 falafel.
- Heat up the oil in the pan and fry each falafel on every side until crunchy. Enjoy!