This winter Root vegetable and Grain salad turns inexpensive root vegetables into a flavorful side dish or main salad that’s hearty, seasonal, and delicious. It’s also super versatile, you can jazz it up with any vegetables or grains of your choice, the recipe is perfect for any occasion! I love root vegetables, they’re cheap, full of nutrients, versatile and keep well for so many days. They’re often overlooked, but they deserve love and they should be a must haves in every grocery list. And this simple winter salad recipe is great to use the humble veggies, it will make them shine, guaranteed.
Winter Root Vegetable Salad
Beetroots and Potatoes are roasted to bring out their essential sweetness and to create that yummy texture. You can roast any vegetables of your choice for this salad. Such as Carrots, Parsnips, Onion, Sweet Potato, Peppers…
The soft sweet root veggies are then served with fresh parsley, chickpeas, cooked barley and a tangy turmeric vinaigrette. And if you haven’t tried adding grains to your salads yet, I’m telling you, it’s time.
Easy, economical, healthy and full of flavor, this winter salad is also great for meal prep. It’s a good idea to double the recipe, just saying. ; )
-Root vegetables (carrots, potatoes, beetroots, parsnips, sweet potatoes..)
-Choice of grain (I like the barley here for this salad, but you can substitute for buckwheat, farro, or even quinoa)
-Choice of nuts ( I used walnuts as I think it goes really well with beetroot, but you can use almonds, cashews or any seeds you like.)
-Herbs (I love parsley here)
-Maple syrup or any other liquid sweetener
-Extra virgin olive oil
-Salt & pepper
-Vegan Feta Cheese (optional)
Check out more recipes:
Cauliflower Potato Lentil Salad
Root Vegetable Salad
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups water
- 4 potatoes
- 2 large beetroot
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 bunch parsley
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- 20 g vegan feta cheese optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- Add dry barley to a pot and cover with 3 cups of water. Add a pinch of salt and simmer for about 35 minutes until water is absorbed.
- Peel and chop the potatoes and beetroots and transfer to a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and salt. Roast in the oven for about 35 minutes until tender.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a serving bowl add cooked barley, chickpeas, vegetables, parsley, chopped walnuts and feta cheese. Pour over the dressing and mix well. Enjoy!