This pesto tomato orzotto is such a delicious lunch that is full of amazing and simple flavours. My favourite part in this dish is that it’s made with super simple ingredients and so so easy to make. It’s made in one pot in less than 30 minutes.
I love to make homemade pesto sauce in big batches and use it on literally everything. Sometimes I make one big jar of it with the ingredients I have and go through it in one week. I love making pesto with what I have on hand. I like using different variations of greens and nuts. My favourite is mixed parsley and basil pesto made with pine nuts. It’s super creamy and rich in flavour.
You can definitely use store bought pesto sauce if you would like it that way or you want to save some time. I also love store bought pesto which is in most cases made with basil. It is definitely really great option for this dish as well.
I love this shape for pasta. It’s really really good using in creamy dishes like this or using in soups and stews. It is also very affordable and easy to find in most of the stores worldwide. The variation for cooking orzo is 2:1 water and orzo. Sometimes if you want more creamy and runny meal you can use a little more water if needed.
How to make this creamy pesto tomato orzotto?
It’s very very easy! First of oil heat up some good quality olive oil in a pan and add chopped onion and garlic. Saute for couple minutes and then add whole cherry tomatoes and olives. Saute a little more and add pesto with orzo and water. That’s it now just mix every couple of minutes and cook with a lid on. You’ll get creamy looking orzotto which you can serve straight with some fresh parsley.
If you like this recipe check out:
ROASTED PUMPKIN WITH PESTO AND FETA
LEMON GARLIC MASHED POTATO GNOCCHI
Pesto Tomato Orzotto
- 1 clove garlic
- 50 g pine nuts
- 1 handful fresh basil and parsley
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp homemade or store bought pesto
- 2 handfuls cherry tomatoes
- 50 g green pitted olives
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- fresh parsley to garnish
- Add all the pesto ingredients into a food processor and blend until creamy consistency.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add choppend onion and garlic. Season with salt and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and chopped olives and saute for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add pesto, oregano, orzo and water and cover the lid.
- Mix occasionally for about 15 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and orzo is cooked.
- Add fresh parsley, mix and serve immediatelly. Enjoy!