This flavorful whole grain Millet Sun-dried tomato salad uses fluffy cooked millet, canned chickpeas, fresh tomatoes, leeks and many herbs in a bright creamy sun-dried tomato salad dressing. Makes a delicious side dish or vegan main course. It’s easy to make using cooked hulled millet and this whole grain salad recipe is naturally gluten free and 100% delicious. You’ll love the tangy and creamy sun-dried tomato dressing too.
Whole grains make the best salad recipes. They’re quick and easy to make when you know how to treat the grains and there are endless options. I’ve made salads using everything from quinoa and farro, to barley to bulgur and brown rice to name a few. This easy millet salad is made with cooked hulled millet, a wholesome, flavorful ancient grain. Plu, millet has a low glycemic index with staying power that keeps you fuller, longer.
What is Millet?
Millet is a cereal grain with a mild flavor that soaks up dressings and seasonings you add to it. It’s boiled in water, similar to rice, and can be used as a hot cereal or as a pilaf. Sometimes it is ground into flour and used to make baked goods.
This grain from the grass family is a staple for much of the world except for the US where it is predominantly used in bird feed. There are different varieties of millet and they may look different, ranging in colors from white to brown.
Millet is naturally gluten-free with high amounts of fiber and protein making it a great substitute for other grains such as rice, quinoa, and couscous.
Why this Millet Sun-dried Tomato Salad works?
- Hearty: Adding millet to vegan salad makes it a heartier and more satisfying salad.
- Summer salad: This easy vegan millet salad will be one you come back to again and again for summer BBQs, cookouts, and parties!
- Easy recipe: Simple ingredients and preparation make vegan salad perfect to make ahead easily for weekly meals.
- Amazing Dressing: This Sun-dried tomato dressing is what brings this salad to the whole new level. The millet absorbs the dressing incredibly well and makes the salad super creamy and flavourful.
Check out more recipes:
Millet Sun-dried tomato salad
- 1 cup dry millet
- 2½ cup water
- 1 can chickpeas
- 3 roma tomatoes
- ½ leek
- 1 bunch spring onion
- 1 bunch parsley
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 5 pieces sun dried tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- ⅓ cup cashews
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- To a pot add dry milled and pour over the water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 25 minutes until cokked. Let cool down a little bit.
- Meanwhile make the salad dressing by adding all the ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- In a salad bowl add cooked milled, chickpeas, chopped tomatoes and leeks, as well as herbs and sunflower seeds.
- Pour over the dressing and mix well. Serve it and enjoy!