Garlic roasted wax beans are a great side dish for dinners or any time you need a quick side dish that’s simple to make. You only need a handful of ingredients and a few minutes of prep time before you pop the wax beans in the oven. Wax beans are probably one of my favourite summer produce. While roasting is a popular cooking method for many vegetables, it’s not typically used for green and wax beans – but it should be! Roasted beans are truly a revelation. Unlike boiled beans, which are bland and squeaky when you bite into them, roasted beans are tender, caramelized, slightly shriveled, and full of flavor.
The beans are roasted with heaps of sliced garlic, olive oil and breadcrumbs, which turn mellow and sweet, and finished with fresh oregano and parsley. This is a great dish for entertaining because it can be made ahead and served at room temperature.
How to trim beans?
It’s important to trim the beans before you roast them to get rid of the tough ends.
- You can trim several at a time. Grab a few and turn them so the stems are all on one side.
- Use your knife to slice off the ends with the stems.
- The other ends of the beans should be fine. But if you notice any that are a little shriveled or tough looking you can trim the other end, too.
Do you need to blanch before cooking garlic wax beans?
- Nope! It’s another thing I love about this easy wax bean side dish – you don’t have to blanche green beans before you roast them.
- Once you’ve trimmed them just toss them with the olive oil, pressed garlic, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper and they’re ready to go in the oven.
Check out more recipes:
Roasted Garlic Wax Beans
- 500 g fresh wax beans
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ tsp dry oregano
- 1 handful fresh parley and oregano to top
- Wash and trim the ends of wax beans.
- Place them on the baking sheet and cover with olive oil, salt, oregano, pressed garlic and breadcrumbs.
- Mix well with your hands and spread evenly on the baking sheet.
- Cook in the preheated 200C oven for about 25 minutes, until golden crispy and tender.
- Garnish with fresh oregano and parsley and enjoy!