These smashed potatoes with creamy tartar sauce are perfect little snack for a summer party or favourite dinner side dish! Potatoes re super crispy ont the outside and soft on the inside. These smashed potatoes are the perfect combination of your favorite creamy mashed potatoes and crispy roasted potatoes in one. Served with this beautiful and creamy tartar sauce it’s just amazing!
The difference between mashed and smashed potatoes
Mashed potatoes are peeled potatoes simmered in boiling water until just tender, drained, then mashed with either a fork or kitchen gadget. Salt and some type of cream or fat are added, mashing until the desired texture is reached. They’re deliciously creamy and smooth.
Smashed potatoes, on the other hand, simmer in seasoned boiling water until tender, but with their skins still on. They are then gently “smashed” whole with a potato masher, seasoned, and baked until golden and crispy!
How to make smashed potatoes?
- Boil the potatoes: boil new potatoes in seasoned water until they can very easily be pierced with a knife. Drain and season them with olive oil and spices then transfer to a baking sheet.
- Smash the potatoes: with a potato masher (or spatula or measuring cup), smash the potatoes gently so they’re flattened.
- Bake until crisp: Bake in a preheated oven and roast until golden and crispy. Serve hot or cold with my favourite tartar sauce.
Vegan Tartar Sauce
Homemade vegan tartar sauce is so easy to make, you will never have to search around or buy expensive vegan tartar sauce again! Best of all, this tartar sauce tastes better than any that you will buy at the store!
Ingredients for vegan tartar
- Vegan Mayo – this is the base of the tartar sauce. You can find many vegan varieties at your local store or you can easily make your own in about 5 minutes!
- Mustard – I like to use dijon mustard here as it adds a lovely flavour to the sauce.
- Sweetener – I prefer to use any kind of liquid sweetener such as agave, honey or maple syrup.
- Lemon Juice – a small squeeze of fresh lemon juice is optional, yet adds a ton of flavor to the tartar sauce. You can also use bottled lemon juice if you don’t have fresh.
- Dill – fresh dill is optional but adds a lot to homemade tartar sauce and I highly recommend it! You can use dried dill too if you don’t have fresh.
Simply mix all the ingredients together and enjoy with smashed potatoes!
Check out more recipes:
Smashed Potatoes with TarTar Sauce
- 1 kg new potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt and oregano
- 1 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 tsp liquid sweetener of choice
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 handful fresh dill
- Boil the new potatoes with skin on until fork tender.
- Drain and season them with olive oil, salt and oregano.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and gently smash each potato with the masher or any flat glass.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minute or until golden crispy on the outside.
- Meanwhile mix all the sauce ingredients.
- Serve potatoes with tartar and enjoy!