If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy twist on traditional ‘meatballs’, then look no further than pearl barley and mushroom balls. I think these vegan balls are packed full of flavor and are perfect for anyone looking to add some more plant-based meals to their diet.
Pearl barley is a nutritious grain that is often used in soups and stews. It has a nutty flavor and a satisfying chewy texture that works perfectly in these meatballs. Pearl barley is a versatile and nutritious ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes, from soups and stews to salads and pilafs. One of the most creative and delicious ways to enjoy pearl barley is by using it as a base for meatballs. When combined with mushrooms, herbs, and spices, pearl barley creates a flavorful and satisfying meatball that is perfect for a hearty dinner or a satisfying snack.
How to make Barley and Mushroom Balls
To make these meatballs, start by cooking the pearl barley according to the package instructions. While the barley is cooking, finely chop some mushrooms and sauté them in a pan with some olive oil and onion until they are tender and cooked through. After the barley is cooked, mix it with the mushrooms, some breadcrumbs, spices, and some fresh herbs like parsley or basil. Form the mixture into small meatballs and bake them in the oven until they are golden brown and cooked through.
For me these meatballs are great served with a side salad or some roasted vegetables or mashed potatoes. They also work well in a sandwich or wrap for a quick and easy lunch. You can even freeze them for later use, making them a great meal prep option.
In conclusion, pearl barley and mushroom meatballs are a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional meatballs. They are easy to make and packed full of flavor, making them a great addition to any meal. They are also a great source of fiber, protein, and vitamins, making them a healthy and satisfying addition to any meal. Give them a try and see how delicious vegan meatballs can be!
Check out more recipes:
Crispy Zucchini with Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpea Salad
Pearl Baarley Mushroom Balls
- 1/2 cup dry barley cooked according to package instructions
- 200 g mushrooms
- 1 onion large
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 hanful parsley chopped
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp dried italian herbs
- Cook barley following the cooking instructions on the package
- Chopp the onion and mushrooms finely and saute in 1 tbsp of olive oil until tender and cooked.
- In a large bowl add cooked barley, mushrooms, add bread crumbs, spices and parsley.
- Blent with a hand blender roughly half of the mixture.
- With wet hands form small balls from the sticky barley mixture and add to a baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake in the preheated 200C oven for about 40 minutes until brown. Serve as you like and enjoy!