These turmeric honey chilli pickles are one of my favourite ways to pickle vegetables. They are earthy, crispy, sweet and spicy: everything you want from a good flavour pickles. I use this recipe for many years and it always turns out great. It’s quick and easy to make and can be stored for long period of time. This golden liquid is perfect for any vegetables you want to pickle. All you need is some turmeric, honey, sugar, vinegar and salt. For the flavours inside the jar I ussed some garlic, peppercorn and sliced chilli pepper.
What does turmeric do for pickles?
Turmeric is a healthy spice, since it contains antioxidants and is thought to help with inflammation and other concerns. This is great, but turmeric also has a wonderful earthy flavor and adds a pretty yellow color to the pickles. It is potent, so a little bit of turmeric goes a long way. Turmeric helps to keep the pickles fresh for a long period of time, so you can definitelly store them in the fridge for at least 3-4 months.
How to make these Pickles?
The ingredients you’ll need:
- Cucumbers. I like to use cucumber here as I love adding to my sandwiches, salads, or as a side to a curry. You can definitelly try other vegetables such as radish, zucchini, chili peppers or even carrots.
- Honey. You need some kind of liquid sweetener for this recipe. You can change to agave or maple syrup.
- Sugar. You are going to need 1 tbsp of sugar for the brine. You can use brown sugar instead for a healthier version.
- Salt. Always good pickles need some salt. I like to use sea salt here.
- Vinegar. You can use white vinegar or a little bit more of apple cider vinegar.
For the turmeric honey pickles flavouring I like to use some sliced garlic, peppercorn and chilli pepper. You can also add bay leaf or some dill to the jar.
I like to slice the cucumber lenghtwise and put in the jar as much as it fits. Then top it with garlic, chili, peppercorn and pour the pickling brine. Close the lids and turn them upside down. I like to place them in a warm blanket overnight and then transfer to the fridge. This recipe makes about two 500ml jars.
Check out more recipes:
Turmeric Honey Pickles
- 10 small cucumbers
- 3 cloves garlic
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 chili pepper
- 500 ml water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp salt
- 6 tbsp white vinegar 8 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Slice the cucumbers lenghtwise and place the in two 500 ml jars tighly.
- On top add slice garlic, peppercorns and half chili pepper in each jar.
- In a pot add all the brine ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Pour over the cucumber and close the lids tighly.
- Place them upside down in a warm blanket and leave overnight to absorb the flavours.
- Transfer to the fridge and start eating after couple of days. Enjoy!