If you are looking for a speedy and delicous lunch this smashed pesto chickpeas toast is a perfect solution. It is ready in five minutes and it is super easy to make and uses store cupboard ingredients. Every time I make this recipe I wonder why I didn’t make more. This recipes is also perfect for meal prep and meals on the go.
Ingredients for smashed pesto chickpeas toast
This recipe requires very little ingredients that uyou can find in your cupboard.
- Chickpeas. I like to use tinned chickpeas as it is ready to eat, affordable and so easy to work with. You can also use boiled chickpeas if you have it on hand. The chickpeas provide a great source of protein and fibre, keeping you fuller for longer.
- Pesto. I use homemade pesto sauce as I like to make it in huge batches and freeze in portions. It is super easy to make. Mine one contains basil, parsley, pine nuts, lemon juice, garlic, salt and lots of olive oil. Everything blended in the food processor it is a perfect pesto sauce. For more covenient way and if you don’t have much time use store bought vegan pesto sauce. It is also very cheap, fast and easy to use.
- Bread. I like to use rye bread for my toast as I think it is way healthier for you. Feel free to use any kind of your favourite bread slices. This chickpea salad is also great in wraps, and with veggies.
- Veggies. If you are making this toast I recommend to add some crunchy vegetables such as carrots and spinach. It would be great with cucumber slices and radish as well. Use what you have on hand.
How to make Pesto Chickpeas?
I like to mash the chickpeas with a potato masher, to break them down a little and I find it helps them hold the pesto sauce. To the mashed chickpeas add 2 tablespoons of homemade or storebought pesto and mix everything together. I also added some chopped greens afterwards but it is totally optional. It is basically that simple! Spread on toast and enjoy!
Check out more recipes:
Smashed Peasto Chickpeas Toast
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 tbsp pesto sauce
- handful fresh herbs parsley, green garlic, basil etc.
- 2 slices bread
- 1 clove garlic
- handful spinach
- 1 carrot shaved
- olive oil to top
- za'atar to top
- With the potato mashed mash your chickpeas.
- Add the pesto sauce and greens and mix well.
- Heat up the toast and rub in garlic clove.
- Layer spinach, shaved carrot, smashed chickpeas and top it with olive oil and za'atar. Enjoy!