These Smashed Potatoes with sun dried Tomato Pesto are super crispy and going to be your new favourite potato recipe. Crazy crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, there’s a serious risk that only half of these will make it to the dinner table…. If you usually only roast your potatoes, you’ve got to try smashing — it makes them unbelievably crispy while also having a buttery, tender center. Basically, it’s the perfect combo. Smashed Potatoes with Tomato Pesto is all about the technique, so the flavor profile is infinitely adaptable.
The difference between mashed and smashed potatoes
Mashed potatoes are peeled potatoes simmered in boiling water until just tender, drained, then mashed with either a fork or kitchen gadget. Salt and some type of cream or fat are added, mashing until the desired texture is reached. They’re deliciously creamy and smooth.
Smashed potatoes, on the other hand, simmer in seasoned boiling water until tender, but with their skins still on. They are then gently “smashed” whole with a potato masher, seasoned, and baked until golden and crispy!
How to make smashed potatoes?
Boil the potatoes: boil new potatoes in seasoned water until they can very easily be pierced with a knife. Drain and season them with olive oil and spices then transfer to a baking sheet.
Smash the potatoes: with a potato masher (or spatula or measuring cup), smash the potatoes gently so they’re flattened.
Bake until crisp: Bake in a preheated oven and roast until golden and crispy. Serve hot or cold with my favourite tartar sauce.
Sun-dried tomato sauce
Homemade Sun-dried tomato sauce is so easy to make, you will never have to search around or buy expensive sun-dired tomato pesto sauce again! Best of all, this Sun-dried tomato sauce tastes better than any that you will buy at the store!
Ingredients for sun-dried tomato sauce
The 8 Ingredients (in no particular order):
Sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil with herbs: The star of the show. Intense. Sweet. And tart.
Garlic: A must-have, always.
Fresh parsley and basil: Cuz we’re hanging on to fond memories of summer.
Oregano: Little flavor bombs of briny sweetness.
Olive oil or the oil from the sun dried tomatoes
Pine nuts: pine nuts offer a richer, more buttery texture.
Check out more recipes:
Smashed Potatoes with sun dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 kg potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 piece sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 4-5 tbsp oil from the jar or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- handful fresh parsley and basil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- Boil the new potatoes with skin on until fork tender.
- Drain and season them with olive oil and salt
- Transfer to a baking sheet and gently smash each potato with the masher or any flat glass.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minute or until golden crispy on the outside.
- Meanwhile mix all the sauce ingredients. Add all the pesto ingredients to a food processor and blend very well until smooth and well combined. Add a splash of water if needed.
- Serve potatoes with sun-dried tomato sauce and enjoy!