This creamy leek and potato soup is one of the easiest and best soup that is full of lovely flavours. This soup is one of the French classics. It’s simple to make and yet comforting and elegant starter for a great dinner party.
What goes in the soup?
- Leeks. It’s essential for leek soup. Very cheap and great ingredient.
- Potatoes. This makes the soup creamy and smooth.
- Garlic. gives a lovely flavour to the soup.
- Spices. Very simple spices for this soup which are salt, pepper and herbs.
How to make Leek and Potato soup?
Creamy leek and potato soup is simple to make, but first you have to deal with the leeks. They’re always sandy and dirty, and very good at hiding it, so be sure to wash them well. Cut the leeks in half lengthwise and rinse each half under cold water, pulling apart the layers to remove any grit that’s tucked inside.
Once the leeks are clean, roughly chop them.
To make the soup, heat up olive oil in a large soup pot, then add the chopped leeks and saute. Add spices and garlic. Lastly add potatoes and vegetable broth.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and wilted about 15 minutes.
Then purée the soup with a hand-held immersion blender (or in a regular blender) until smooth.
You may also like:
ROMESCO DIPPING SAUCE
Creamy Potato and Leek Soup
- 2 large leeks
- 3 large potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 l vegetable broth
- breadcrumbs and dill to garnish optional
- In a large soup pan heat up olive oil and add chopped leeks together with salt. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add sliced garlic and remaining spices. Fry for 3 more minutes.
- Add cubed potato and vegetable broth.
- Simmer everything mixing occasionally for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Blend everything with the immersion blender and serve immediately.
- I served my soup with breadcrumbs and fresh dill, but this is optional, it gives a lovely flavour. Enjoy!