This Pesto Rosso Orzo dish is summery, extreemely easy to make and is served with a homemade pesto rosso sauce. This scrumptious pesto is made with fresh summer tomatoes, fresh basil, toasted nuts and vegan feta cheese.
What is Pesto Rosso?
Pesto Rosso, also known as Sicilian Pesto is another variation of the famous Pesto alla Genovese. It is a typical preparation from Sicily and is made with fresh tomatoes, pine nuts, basil, garlic, pecorino, and olive oil. Although I subsitute pine nuts to toasted cashews and pecorino to a vegan feta, it was truly delicious and comforting meal I cannot wait to make again.
Why You Should Make Pesto Rosso Orzo?
- The recipe is extremely easy to make, simply place all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it’s get the texture you prefer.
- It uses less oil compared to the traditional pesto from Genova. Feta it creamier so you don’t need to add too much oil.
- Is a versatile Italian recipe, you can use it to coat your favorite pasta, spread on bread, or dip fresh vegetables.
- You don’t need fancy ingredients because the ones listed below can be easily found at many local supermarkets around the world.
How To Make Sicilian Tomato Pesto
- Cut tomatoes into quarters. Place them to drain on a colander for about 20 minutes.
- In a food processor place the tomatoes, basil, feta cheese, cashews and the garlic clove.
- Add salt and pepper (just a little bit, you’ll adjust later), and then pour in the olive oil. Pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped or until you reach the desired consistency.
- Transfer the pesto rosso sauce into a large jar and add the remaining olive oil on top. Store in the fridge or use it immediately.
Check out more recipes:
Pesto Rosso Orzo
- 300 g dried orzo pasta
- 1 cup fresh cherry tomatoes
- 5-6 roma tomatoes drained for about 20 minutes
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 handful toasted cashews
- 50 g vegan feta cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Add all the pesto ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Cook the orzo in the salted boiling water. See the instructions on your orzo package.
- Drain the orzo, mix with pesto rosso sauce and add halved cherry tomatoes.
- Mix everything well and serve. Enjoy!