This Zucchini and Yoghurt Dip with fried Za’atar spices chickpeas is bright, light and flavourful lunch idea. I was craving eggplant yoghurt dip the other day, but I did not have any eggplants on hand. I did, however, have some zucchinis. In my mind, they would work as a perfect substitute, and I was…. correct! This dip turned out fantastic and delicious. It simply starts out with some shreded and sauted zucchini and then blends with yogurt and lots of garlic. Oh and did I mentioned you how well it goes with fried za’atar chickpeas. It’s truly the best treat you can have!
This dip can be served with chips, pita, crackers, veggies, or even as a side to a bowl of rise or other grains. It is perfect for a quick and healthy snack and the excuse to use up your zucchini / courgette bounty. It is suitable for people following a vegan, gluten-free or keto diet.
HOW TO MAKE A ZUCCHINI DIP
- Firstly, wash and grate your zucchini’s.
- Add zucchini to a frying pan with some olive oil and fry till soft and starting to brown, then remove from heat and let cool.
- Then add in yoghurt, minced garlic, black pepper and salt and mix well until creamy dip consistency.
- Transfer to serving container and drizzle on some olive oil.
HOW TO MAKE ZA’ATAR CHICKPEAS for the zucchini dip?
- I like to use canned chickpeas here as it’s super quick and easy to use!
- Simply drain you chickpeas and dry them with a towel or some paper towel.
- Add to a frying pan with some olive oil, sesame seeds and lots of za’atar seasoning. Fry everything mixing occasionally until golden brown and super crispy.
- Serve it over the zucchini dip and enjoy!
What is Za’atar?
Za’atar is a culinary herb or family of herbs. It is also the name of a spice mixture that includes the herb along with toasted sesame seeds, dried sumac, often salt, as well as other spices.
Check out more recipes:
Zucchini and Yoghurt Dip with Za’atar Chickpeas
- 2 medium size zucchini's
- 1 cup vegan plain greek style yoghurt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp za'atar
- 1 pinch salt if za'atar has no salt
- Grate the zucchini and saute in olive oil until it's cooked and slightly browned.
- Let it cool down and mix with vegan yoghurt, minced garlic, black pepper and salt. Mix well until creamy dip consisntency.
- In a frying pan heat up 2 tbsp olive oil and add drained chickpeas together with za'atar and sesame seeds.
- Fry until golden and crispy mixing occasionaly.
- Serve it over the yoghurt dip and garnish with more olive oil and some fresh parsley. Enjoy!