This smoky eggplant and yoghurt dip will have you licking your fingers after every flavorful bite! Smoky eggplant, tangy vegan yogurt, and bold garlic come together for a side dish, Turkish eggplant dip, or Middle Eastern mezze everyone will enjoy. This is what you need for your next summer barbeque!
This Eggplant Yogurt Recipe is a Turkish appetizer that will make your mouth water with every bite. Fire roasted eggplant adds a smoky flavor to this tangy and bold dish, and fresh lemon juice gives it a tantalizing citrus bite. Serve it as a side dish or as an eggplant yogurt dip with pita chips, this recipe is guaranteed to satisfy!
Why you should try this smoky eggplant yoghurt dip?
- This recipe is a great alternative to Baba Ganoush if you don’t have tahini on hand or simply want to try out a new Middle Eastern spread.
- You can serve this recipe as Turkish eggplant dip or as a side dish, depending on how you present it.
- Take the stress out of meal prep by making this dish up to 2 days in advance.
- Great for a spread in your wraps and sandwiches.
Eggplant. Globe eggplants or long and lean Japanese eggplant, both work perfectly for this recipe. Just be sure to adjust how many eggplants you gather depending on their size. You’ll need 2 medium eggplants or 1 large one.
Yoghurt Mixture. For the yogurt mixture, gather Greek yogurt, garlic cloves, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt and Italian parsley.
How to cook eggplant on the grill?
Prepare a hardwood-charcoal fire in a grill. Let coals cool to medium heat (coals should be covered with ash and glowing red with no black remaining).
Place 2 small eggplants directly on coals or poked through the metal stick and cook. I like to turn occasionally, until skins are blackened and flesh has collapsed, 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, grill on the grate of a gas or charcoal grill over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a pot, let it steam and let cool slightly.
Carefully remove skins from eggplants, leaving stems intact. Place eggplants on a wire rack set inside the same rimmed baking sheet and let stand 30 minutes to allow excess water to drain.
Check out more recipes:
Smoky Eggplant and Yoghurt Dip
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tbsp vegan plain yoghurt (greek style)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- parsley and za'atar to garnish
- Cook the eggplant on the fire and let it steam (see the instructions above)
- Peel the skins and mash well with the fork.
- Add yoghurt, minced garlic, lemon juice and olive oil and wix very well.
- Garnish with more olive oi, za'atar and parsley. Enjoy!